Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Back To The Pond

On Tuesday, the 15th of November 2011, I rode back to the pond to look at whatever I might see there.  I never know if I will see anything, or possibly a multitude of wildlife species.  On this date Bucky Beaver decided to show off for a couple of minutes.  All of that brown colored brush in the near background is now under a foot of water or more due to the beaver’s diligence in dam building and maintenance.  Bucky, the larger male, as compared to Eager the female, swam out from the left side near the background brush.  He made a couple of circles of his domain to insure I was not going to be a problem for him, before he moved off over to the right and disappeared into the brush.  It can be noted it was late afternoon by the moon’s reflection in the afternoon water.  That was it for the day.
However I returned on the 22nd, when the temperature had dropped to below the freezing point.  This photo is of the portion of the pond on the south side of the road.  One of Bucky and Eager’s kits has taken up residence there.  Note that even though the temperature is below freezing the water is fully open.  There appears to be a slightly oily sheen on the water’s surface.  I do not know what causes this or if this has any effect on the water’s state of freezing.  Also for whatever reason this part of the pond stays roiled all of the time now.  Possibly the beaver is digging mud to build the dam higher.  I don’t know.
This is the north side of the road.  Although it is north of the second photo I don’t think the ten feet difference accounts for the fact this side is now skimmed over with ice.  That is where Bucky and Eager have the sluice pipe plugged in the lower right corner.  You may notice slightly more ice along the edge of that.  Winter is approaching if not here yet.
I moved along to where Bucky and Eager’s second kit, whom I have named Little Beaver (remember Red Ryder and his faithful little companion), is beginning his new life away from home.  As I drove along side of his pond I noted a growing stash of limbs that Little Beaver is intending to use for his winter food supply.  On foot I approached his domain to get a photo.  Just as I neared the water’s edge I heard a loud splash, and a roiling of the water as he dropped out of sight near the stored branches.  I never saw him before he announced his presence and departure.  He left behind that six foot diameter hole in the skim ice in the foreground.  That’s his brush pile, in the water, just behind the open water.  Looking to the right is toward his dam he has constructed during the past few weeks.
This last photo is nearly the same as the previous one, but it reaches all the way to the dam over on the right side.  Soon they will need that stored food.  I hope they have planned well.

No comments:

Post a Comment