Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It's Like This

Did you ever know that it was possible to have five (or more) valid New York State driver’s licenses at the same time?  Here’s what happened.

About a month prior to my birthday this year I got a notification from the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) stating that my driver’s license would expire on my birthday.  No problem!  I went to the DMV Department in my local county building.  I was given a rudimentary eye test, apparently passed it, and was told to go to another line where I was issued a temporary license to expire in 90 days, and told I would receive a new license in a week to ten days, after forking over $72.50.  As my license that I’ve had for the past 8 years was still valid I now had two valid licenses.  Sure enough, a few days later I received, via U S Mail, a new New York State driver’s license.  That made three valid licenses I now had in my possession.
Things went along fine for a few days until I lost my wallet.  However I know where my lost wallet is.  It is baled up in a large round bale of hay.  I should cut the bale open and retrieve it, right?  The only problem with that solution is I don’t know which of 32 bales it is in.
So, I returned to my local county building again.  I told the sweet young thing at the license counter that the morning before I had a valid license, but by night I no longer had one.  After she thought about that for a minute or so she said, “What?”  I then told her I had lost my wallet the previous day including my newly issued New York State driver’s license.  She gave me a form to fill out, which was not too difficult, and then I returned it to her.  She looked it over, presumably to make sure I was not a foreign agent of some sort, approved it, and once again sent me to the line to pay for my mistake.
The lady at that window asked if I wanted to renew my license?  I told her no, I had done that three weeks prior.  She asked then why was I there, and I told her I wanted a replacement license as I had already lost the new one from a few days prior.  Then she apparently understood the situation, typed something into a computer, and told me that would be $17.50.  I told her it sure was expensive to talk to these people.  About thirty seconds at each of two windows was $17.50.  She did not express any humor in that.  I gave her the money, and we stared at each other for a moment.  I asked, “What next?”
She said, “What do you mean?”
I asked, “Are you going to give me my license or what?”
She said, “Oh, this machine will print you a temporary 90-day one in a moment.”  She was correct, the machine began to rattle away, and she handed me a new temporary license with the statement that I would receive a new valid license within a week or ten days.  Although I could not actually put my hands on one of them, I now had four valid NYS driver’s licenses.
A few days later, just as the lady said it would, I received yet another valid NYS driver’s license in the good old U S Mail.  This made me yet a fifth valid license.  As today is my birthday, meaning the one I’ve had for eight years is still valid, I right now possess five valid NYS driver’s license, albeit one of them is a little hard to present to a law officer if the need should arise.  Pick a bale, any bale, it might be in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment