Monday, November 21, 2011

Old Country Church

Old Country Church
Leo Lawton

As I trod along a country road, I heard a church bell ring,
and as I entered through the door, I heard the children sing.
They sang to me of Jesus Christ, who on a fateful day,
was nailed upon a wooden cross, and carried far away.

And like the song they sang that day, I too was far from home,
I had wandered in the open door, because I was alone.
I felt so sorry for myself, I was among the very few,
who sat within that lonely church, as I dropped into a pew.

Once more I found my maker, upon that lonesome day,
when I chanced upon that olden church, I found along my way.
Tears welled up in this old man’s eyes as I pondered all my sin,
my thoughts then turned to mama as I tarried there within.

And mama’s voice then spoke to me, as if she were right there,
“Son,” she said, “I knew your load was way too much to bear.
And so I’ve waited in this church for you to come along,
And now that you have found your way, know that you belong.”

No comments:

Post a Comment