Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Day After Christmas

The Day After Christmas

Leo Lawton


Twas the day after Christmas, we took down the lights,
It was just like a scene from Arabian Nights,
My wife was working inside of our home,
I was doing the outside like some little gnome.

I started from the bottom and took down a string,
Then wrapped them all up into a bedraggled thing,
They were all tied in knots and wrapped all around,
Next year at Christmas not to be found.

I worked my way up to the top of the star,
Then looked down to the ground and it was so far,
I felt a little funny as I looked around,
That was just before I plunged to the ground.

As I checked myself over to see what was the matter,
I got hit on the head by the overturned ladder,
My wife came out to find just what I was keeping,
She said get off of that ground, why are you sleeping?

I picked myself up and I said I’m sorry dear,
I just seemed to get tired, I’m sleepy I fear,
How are you doing with all that stuff inside,
She said I’ve got it all done, but I think that she lied.

I went in to see and junk was all over the floor,
I looked around further and I found yet some more,
She had stuff on the sofa, and boxes in chairs,
She said to me then, take it all up the stairs.

Her idea of done, was it was ready for me,
To get rid of the stuff after doing my tree,
I suggested to her she could do it herself,
That’s when she decided to show me the shelf.

She told me it was accidental when it dropped on my head,
It hit me so hard that I thought I was dead,
In my dazed state of being I agreed to her wishes,
I even promised that I’d do the dishes.

So the lights are all down, and they’re all put away,
I’m just terribly glad that I lived through the day,
I think I’ll relax and go get me a beer,
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment