Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bird Feeding


As my wife is a bit under the weather so to speak I decided to feed her friendly flock of wild birds so I stuck on a cap and vest that was hanging on the wall.  Then, as she often does, she asked why I wore that vest instead of another vest.  After about two or three minutes of argument I finally convinced her the simple reason was that the one I had chosen was the first one I came to, and it was fine.  Then I donned my gloves and made it out the door as she yammered on about why was I going out in the first place?  I quietly closed the door leaving her to argue with herself about that one.

I then proceeded to the birdfeed container, and scooped out some for the pan on the porch, and tossed some over the side of the porch for those little feathered friends that like to eat on the ground.  Turning back to the feed storage can I scooped an entire pitcher full for the middle of the yard where the critters like to gorge themselves.  I carefully proceeded down the steps, knowing it was probably yet slippery even though there was snow on the ground.  Often a layer of snow on top of an ice base is even slipperier than without the snow.  The snow helps to lubricate the ice in case it’s not slippery enough to start with.  I got down the steps, and across the cement block at the foot of them.  I then proceeded across the downhill part  of the lawn as you leave the cement part.  All was well and good as I took little baby steps across that part keeping my upper body well balanced above my feet.

As I left the downhill section and started across the flat part, all of a sudden I was on the ground on my back.  For a couple of seconds I didn’t sort of know what had happened.  Then it came to me I had fallen, but I seemed dazed a bit.  I couldn’t remember how to get back up on my feet again.  I decided if I rolled over on my stomach that would help so I did that, but I didn’t seem to have strength enough to rise back up, and I was yet sort of dazed, and not too sure what I was doing.  Then I heard the door open and knew I should get up or the usual feeder of those little bustards would have a hissy fit.  Right then and there I was getting back to normal, ready to argue no matter what she said.  So I stood and proceeded to pick up the bird seed that hadn’t spilled and continued on to feed those dirty rotten vultures in the middle of the lawn.

Yeah, I’m okay, and how was your day?

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were okay! I hate venturing out in the slippery winter, but find I have to do it a lot less often now that we've installed squirrel proof bird feeders, so that only the birds can get at the intended goodies! Too funny about the vest, glad you stuck to your guns.

    ReplyDelete