Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just Stuff I've Heard

My oldest brother, Bert, told me once there was an old adage that said:  Half your grain, and half your hay, must remain on Groundhog’s Day.  Seeming as winter is approximately half over then, it makes perfect sense.

Punxsutawney in a Native American tongue means ‘Land of the sand fleas.”  That’s almost as good a claim to fame as being noted as the last bastion of the ridge running coal miners.

As Punxsutawney isn’t all that far from Pittsburgh, it may be that this whole Groundhog’s Day thing is some sort of advertising gimmick for the Superbowl.  It doesn’t hang in there with clothing malfunctions, but the Steelers got to make do with what they got.

If you believe everything you hear or read, you might want to look into the tale about February second being forty days after Christmas, and as such Mary, mother of Jesus, went through a rite of purification on that date, and that started the whole bit about Candlemas Day, which is the same day as Groundhog’s day.

When I was very young my Daddy said something about groundhog, and I thought he was talking about sausage.  That’s not true, I just made it up.

On February 2, 2022 when you say the date it’s going to sound like a train going by. Too, too too, ohhh too too.

No comments:

Post a Comment