Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Northcountry Notes

Our days are slowly warming, as spring nears.  We had a couple of days with temps in the 50s last week which reduced the snow depth to where, once again, I can travel through the woods and fields on my ATV.  On Sunday, the 20th, I rode all the way back to the pond to take note of any changes that may have happened in the past month or more.
After crossing the pond, turning around, and heading back toward home again, I noted I was following a set of tracks of an unknown animal.  I might guess it was a fox, or possibly a bobcat, by the size of the paw prints, but I’m not that good with tracks to know.
Then I noted that they had ventured down onto the ponds surface as can be seen in the next photo.  It can also be noted that snow melt on the surrounding meadows caused a water flow through the sluice pipe under the road. 
I then shot a photo of the north side of the road to show there was no open water there, so the flow was under the ice.  The original beaver house is at the upper left corner.  I saw no actual wildlife in my travels.

About 11 a.m. today, February 22, George Washington’s birthday, my wife and I were sitting at our kitchen table conversing.  She faced the window behind me.  She was taking note of several small feathers floating by the window, and inquired of me their source.  I turned to see the same feathers she had been watching.  I deduced that there must be a hawk in the lilac bush, but I could not spot one.  Then I looked downward to spot this fellow enjoying breakfast.  Holding his prey in his talons he systematically yanked feathers and allowed them to follow the wind.  This gave him a ready access to a warm meal.
In the first photo you can note the square tail end denoting a sharp-shinned hawk.  The second photo shows the reddish colored lower parts and white chest area. 

In the third photo you can note the white feathers along the outer edges of the tail.  Although not a rare bird, it is unusual for us to see one, and I was happy that it stayed long enough for me to get about 20 photos of it.

3 comments:

  1. Three hobos were walking around until they came along some tracks. The first hobo says, "Cool! We have came across a set of deer tracks!" The second hobo replied, "No no no you have it all wrong. These tracks here are moose tracks!" Then the most intelligent out of the three hobos said "You two are IDIOTS! These tracks look far too dangerous to belong to calm animals like deer and moose's! I believe we should get out of!" The first hobo responds very quickly, interrupting the third hobo, "Too late". All three hobos are then hit by a train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're trying to tell me I'm not too bright, and that I can't tell my tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, we can always blame the turkey's if we don't know what the track is.

    ReplyDelete