Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pond Life 3-20-11

About midafternoon I rode back to the pond hoping I might capture a photo or two of our newcomer, Bucky Beaver.  Such was not to be, but I did happen upon another swimming creature.
As soon as I arrived at the pond I noted this rascal in the first photo happily going about his business, paying seemingly no attention to me.  He left that clump of grass as I neared, but returned to it again shortly thereafter.
Photo two shows the little critter after his return.  There was something about that particular section of real estate he seemed to prefer above all others at the moment.  It seemed to be digging into the roots of some sort of plant life I could not see.
Photo three shows his sudden interest in the goings on above him up on the roadway.  He circled over toward me, but immediately returned to his chosen island.
Photo four though shows that while he was surveying me, his buddy (or lover) appeared and began eating at his favorite spot.  He didn’t like this and so they had a small spat.  I took several photos of that, but as luck would have it, I was pointing in the general direction and snapping away as fast as I could, and none of them were any good.
So it seems that Bucky Beaver has created a nice home for a pair of finely furred Muskrats.  We’ll work on photos of Bucky in the future.
On the way back to my home I noted that rabbits had been working on some apple tree limbs that my son-in-law, Ben, had pruned last fall.  It seems like it was a ready food supply for some of them.  I thought all of them were surviving on my wife’s birdseed, but apparently that was only desert.  Photo five shows the results of their labors.

No comments:

Post a Comment