Thursday, October 13, 2011

Movie Time

My friend Don and I decided to go to a movie one night.  Although the weather was rather brisk for the area, it was Florida, so how cold could it be?
As we left Corry Field riding double on Don’s Triumph 650 Twin we headed east on US 98 (Navy Boulevard) heading toward downtown Pensacola.  When we came to the intersection of Palafox Street we headed North, but only a very short distance as the Rex Theatre was located there on the east side of the street.  All together we traveled no more than four or five miles, but due to the cool evening air we did get chilled in spite of our warm leather jackets.
We were discussing what the temperature was as we rode slowly along our chosen path.  We both felt it must be as low as in the forties, but we had no real way of knowing.  As we parked the bike and swung down off it, I noticed that Don’s hair appeared to be frozen.  He felt it, and told me it was.  He then looked at me, and told me mine was also.  There were no helmet laws in any of the states back in the mid-1950s, and as such we never wore them, or any other head gear for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment