Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Photo Treasure Trove

As possibly, or probably, our family’s most avid genealogist/historian, I have amassed hundreds of photos of relatives of every sort, shape, and description.  Sorting them out is always a challenge with countless hundreds of hours involved.
A couple of weeks ago my youngest sister asked, “Where do you get all of these photos from?”
I told her I wasn’t sure in a lot of cases.  Our good kinfolks have sent them to me from time to time, and I was too careless with not writing where they all came from.  I do know that when my father’s younger sister, Clara, died she insured I would receive a good part of her lifetime collection.  She left a set of photos in her daughter’s care with instructions to pass them on to me which was duly done.
Yesterday, July 30, 2012 I received seven photo albums that were the lifelong collection of my mother’s youngest sister, Rosedale Halladay Suhockey.  She died about eleven years ago.  My cousin Rita, daughter of Rosedale’s brother Jay, settled her estate, and a year or so after Rosedale’s death sent the albums to my brother Lawrence.  I do not know what instructions or requests may have been inferred. At any rate he passed many of the photos to his children.  Then Lawrence died about a year ago leaving the old albums behind in his home.  Now the home has passed to his daughter Sandra who asked if I might want the albums.  I, of course, told her I absolutely wanted them.
Now that I have them I am starting the process of scanning all the photos to my computer for ease of distribution.  If any of my relatives want any photos that may be in the albums please contact me using the above address of leo@lawtonissue.com.
Lori, this is how I get the photos, they just come into my possession as if by magic, but I am really glad that they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment