Saturday, September 24, 2011

Deer Stands and Turkeys

In addition to the stands I showed you in a previous post, these are located on my property, but not placed there by myself.  My nephew Tim has three sons, Brian, Pat, and Benny.  They live just past my daughter who is next door to me.  Now they are in their early twenties, but I’ve lived next to them all of their lives, and they treat my property as if it were their own, as I likewise do Tim’s.  I think Brian may have placed this stand in my little wooded area, but I’m not sure, nor does it matter.  Any of them may use it on occasion, and I’m welcome to also.  First come first serve.
While driving through the woods, near to the deer stand, I spotted this woodpecker restaurant.  Like Maxwell House It’s good to the last drop.  First it was a part of the forest.  Then it died and decayed.  It then became a home and food for little critters.  Now it is a smorgasbord for birds.  Soon it will fall and rot forming humus, as growth for future forestation.
This photo is a different angle of the same tree.  It is taken from the left side of the first one.
This is a bottom view of yet another deer stand on my property, but I believe belongs to Pat.  This is a commercially produced model.  The steel mesh part is for his feet, while the other part is a seat.  It overlooks a part of my woods as well as some of my neighbor’s corn meadow.
This is the same stand as in the previous photo.  The snap is taken from the neighboring cornfield.  The attaching chains are readily visible as they surround the tree trunk.
By observing my poor photography closely, between twenty and twenty-five turkeys can be seen.  There were two hens, each with ten or a dozen poults, all mixed together.  They were in a meadow close to a road, but I knew if I got any closer they would disappear almost instantaneously, so I took a long range shot of them just before they melted into the brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment