Monday, September 12, 2011

Wandering

I went for a drive on my ATV this afternoon back through my own fields to see what I could see.  If nothing else, the fresh air and getting out into nature is good for a body.  I hadn’t gone all that far until I discovered this small group of cattails.  They have grown in a bit of a wet area near an old gravel pit which contains water most of the year.
Continuing along my way I stopped by the Hemlock tree I have photographed before and placed on these pages.  The small cones are readily discernible at this time of year.
As I left the tree I proceeded along a trail that I often use, but today it was different.  It is usually only a couple of tracks through the grass and weeds, but my son-in-law-Ben, got carried away and mowed it yesterday.  For better, or for worse, it makes the surrounding weeds and brush standout more than they did prior.
This is another mown path that traverses the back fence of my horse pasture.  Some of the willows and pines that abound in the area can be seen in this photo.  The two closer shrub looking growths are willows, while most of the background are pines.
This fifth photo is just another path through the fields my grandson Alex and I often follow on our quest for adventure.
I again spied this old weathered tree that has been dead for several years and lies forlornly in the brush alongside a trail.  The gentle curve of its trunk makes me think a bit of some sort of natural art.  Mother nature works in strange ways.
As I rounded a bend there in all their glory were a couple of trees bountifully loaded with apples.  As they are slowly plucked by the wind in the branches, the deer will have dessert with their regular fodder.  What a beautiful deep blue sky forms the background for our delicious deer feed.
Just beyond the apple tree I topped a very small rise and could once again see my home from the rear.  My pickup slide-in camper is in clear view using the house as a windbreak in inclement weather.  Over to the right is my son-in-law Ben and daughter Donna’s home.  A few more yards and my afternoon sojourn was completed.  Did you enjoy the ride as I did?
Hold the presses.  Just in…a photo from my wife’s sister Karen Murray.  This is Bashful and Bambi, taken a couple of miles from my place, out back of their home.  Now is there anything cuter than these two?  I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment