Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Old Music Memories

From nowhere today some lyrics to a song entered my mind. 
“Silver dew on the bluegrass tonight, how it shines in the moon’s silvery light.”
Where it came from I hardly knew, but I recalled it being a song from my boyhood.  As I bandied the words through my brain time after time, more of the lyrics returned.  “Soldier Boy so far from me, how I wish that you could see, Silver dew on the bluegrass tonight.”
The more I thought about it I could recall listening to it on an old radio while completing chores on our dairy farm when I was a young lad.  Attempting to recall old memories I Googled the words as I recalled them to find that they are from an old Bob Wills tune he recorded in 1945 during WW II, when I was seven years old.  Sixty-seven years later they popped into my head.
As I thought about songs from that time in my life another set of lyrics came to mind.  I remember singing along to the tune playing on that old radio as I fed, bedded, and helped milk our dairy herd.  “In the twilight glow I see her, blue eyes crying in the rain.”
As I was on a roll, I once more asked Mr. Google about those lyrics.  “As we kissed goodbye and parted, I knew we’d never meet again.”  According to Wikipedia it was written by Fred Rose and recorded by Roy Acuff in that same year of 1945.  It was later recorded by Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and Elvis (at different times), but I remember that original version of Roy and “Someday when we meet up yonder…Blue eyes crying in the rain.”
Now as I write this another from that era comes to mind.  “Gonna take a sentimental journey, gonna set my heart at ease, Gonna make a sentimental journey to recall old memories.”  Yes sir, or ma’am, it’s from that same year.  Doris Day with the Les Brown Band of Renown turned it into a number one hit.  “Gotta take that sentimental journey, sentimental journey home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment