Saturday, January 14, 2012

Visit From Wayne

He was only someone I worked with, not really a close friend, yet what a wonderful surprise it was when he stopped to visit at our home today.  From 1970 through 1973 we worked for the same mobile home dealer.  Wayne was the toter (a special truck used to move mobile homes) driver, while I was the serviceman repairing any defects found in the mobile homes after delivery.  Therefore we did not work closely together yet seen each other on nearly a daily basis.
Wayne moved on hoping for greener pastures after our three year stint together.  I did also, but after three years I discovered the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, and I returned to work for the same dealer and continued on for nearly another twenty years.
I heard only once from Wayne in the past forty years when he phoned me to offer a chance at becoming a partner in a mobile home park in Arizona.  I passed on the offer, but did know he was in Arizona at the time.
While reminiscing this evening he told me he had remained in the southwest up until a couple of years ago, when he suddenly decided he was returning to his roots in this area.  We, of course, were much younger all those many years ago, and we hardly recognized each other today, but it was immensely gratifying to have him as a guest in my home.
For a couple of hours we relived our past days together.  Remember the time you and I…  Yes, of course I remember that, it’s only recent things I can’t remember any more.  We recalled customers we met, some very good experiences, some not so good.  We recalled places we went, restaurants we ate in, odd places we placed mobile homes, difficulties of placing some of them, unordinary requests that some people asked, and all the myriad details we could remember.
What a good time we had.  I hope he drops back once in a while.  It was such fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment