Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Turkeys In The Wild

I’ve lived at this same location now for nearly 36 years and all of that time our water from a private well has been potable, but not very tasty.  It has a certain amount of sulfur in it I would guess.  For cooking and other everyday uses including laundry and such it is fine.  However, it’s an entirely different matter when it comes to brewing coffee.  I don’t understand the science to it, but for whatever reason the combination of the water with ground coffee beans leaves something to be desired.  Brewing with an urn type pot, which we always use, leaves a scum on top of every cup of coffee when poured.  It is more unsightly than undrinkable, but I want to enjoy my coffee not endure it.
As the water is fine for all but coffee I choose to bring it from a known good source rather than go through the mess of filtration, softeners, or other mechanical treatments for it.  So it was that today I traveled the couple of miles to my nephew’s farm to fetch 10 gallons of coffee-making water.  My usual jaunt is to go one way and return another so I get to see any changes in the neighborhood on the opposing roads, and today was no exception.
On my return trip I was driving along the Brown Road in the town of Lisbon when I spotted a flock of turkeys in a field.  Thinking that there may be folks that will read this that have never seen a turkey not in a meat department of a supermarket I decided to take a couple of photos.
These were both taken today, January 24, 2012, at about 3 pm.  I count 13 turkeys in the family flock.  The young remain with the mother for the first season so this is probably all one family, a mother with a dozen chicks nearly full grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment