Saturday, February 22, 2014

Snowy Owl



I like to photograph birds even though I have no particular love for them.  Today I was fortunate enough to spot this Snowy Owl.  I was driving down a country road in the Heuvelton, St. Lawrence County, New York area when I saw this quite large white bird flying diagonally away from my vehicle.  Guessing what it might be, I turned the next corner in its direction and was able to maintain eye contact on it.  About a mile from my first sight of it the large bird perched atop a telephone pole.  I was able to creep up on it with my Jeep.  I began taking photos as soon as I could get within range at all to insure I got at least something, but I needn't have worried as it remained on the pole until I was within a few feet of directly under it.
Judging that the pole might be 8" in diameter at the top then the owl appears to be possibly double that, or 16" tall.  As they can grow to 28" in height that seems to be reasonable.  They can live to at least 17 years of age, and quite probably more.  An adult will have a wingspan of 4' to 5', and I guessed this one to be around that 4' mark.
They spend summer far above the Arctic Circle only migrating into New York during winter in North America.  I feel extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity of photographing this magnificient specimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment