Tuesday, July 15, 2014

1949 Ford 8N Farm Tractor


July 10, 2014 I bought a 65 year old farm tractor.  This is not intended to be a complete restoration project by any means.  I bought this thing to work with although I have little use for it other than snow removal.

In an “as is” condition I believe the engine and drive train are good.  The three-point-arms work correctly.  It has a refurbished radiator newly installed, and a new 6 volt battery.  It has had a recent engine tune up.  The rubber is decent.

The grill is home made.  The grill guard has been bent and straightened in the past.  There is a rusty place on the hood.  The headlights are in a separate box.

It started and was driven onto a trailer to bring it home.  This was a good start.  After it arrived at my home it started, ran, and was driven around my yard.  The next morning I found it only wants to run for a couple of minutes and then quit.  It seems to be running out of gas.  After a couple of minutes it will run again.

I found the fuel strainer on top of the sediment bulb partially plugged and cleaned it, but that didn’t change anything.

More later as it develops.

1 comment:

  1. It never occurred to me to use a vintage tractor for snow removal. What an excellent idea! We get an average amount of snow where my husband and I live and for as long as we've been together, he's used a shovel. We're getting up there in age now, almost retired, but he won't buy a snowblower. Maybe he'll be interested in using an old tractor if we can find one for a good price.

    ReplyDelete