Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Simple Times of Long Ago


In the late 40s and early to mid-50s times were much simpler, and on a grand average a little better than they are today.  Born in 1938 I was in my preteens during this post-World War II period.  Being the middle born of 13 children there were always siblings to play with.

As I sit here at my computer as midnight approaches on what has been a rather dreary rainy day I decided to enjoy a dish of ice cream as a nice late night snack to brighten my day before retiring for the night.  I scooped several spoons full of vanilla ice cream into a cereal bowl and liberally applied some caramel topping.  As I perused all the comments of my friends on Facebook I greatly enjoyed the delights of my preferred concoction.

Suddenly I recalled those times in the distant past when as a boy one of my brothers and myself would walk the ½ mile to our neighbor’s home.  There for a matter of a couple of hours we would while away the time playing a card game called Pedro with Ralph and Gladys Mayne.  They would have been in their 50s at the time.  Who won the games was of little importance.  An evening of entertainment was what we all desired.

At the end of the evening Gladys would always bring forth ice cream to be eaten by all.  What a great treat this was to a couple of children I’m absolutely sure they realized.  Here it is now some 65 years later, and yet I remember those wonderful evenings so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment