Sunday, July 6, 2014

Just Mowing the Lawn Dear


My neighbor has a this huge Saint Bernard that usually does its duty in my side yard where the deposits sun dry into objects similar to frozen hot dogs, only larger.

I was mowing my lawn one afternoon when I heard this high-pitched ziiiiiiing as one went flying off the blade, through the chute and off into space. The mower temporarily stalled from the effort required to launch this missile. The TV cable running past the front of the house gave a twang as it apparently was struck by a UFO. Less than a second later I heard someone on the third hole of the golf course holler, "I never even heard anybody say 'fore' or I would have ducked," as he groggily rose from the ground.

Only another split second passed before I heard the tinkle of glass over toward the bowling alley as the lady in the pink miniskirt screamed, "Well would you look at that for heaven’s sake, I got a strike and I never even threw my ball!  How do I score that?"

About that time my little wife ran out the side door.  I couldn’t hear what she was saying due to the restarted  running mower, but I could see her lips going like she was mimicking a chain saw, so I decided I’d better shut the mower down again or I’d never hear the end of this.  She stuttered, “You, you, you’d better come come quickly into the house.  The TV set is going crazy.”

I asked, “What do you mean?”

She said, “I heard this twang out front, then it jumped about three feet from the wall, and then jerked back again almost to where it started.”

I decided to quit mowing for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment