Thursday, August 18, 2011

Home

Thomas Wolfe wrote a book, published posthumously in 1940, titled “You Can’t Go Home Again.”  It dealt with a character that had written a book about his home town.  In this fictional book within a book, the writer told tales about home town characters that were not necessarily flattering.  The home town characters took umbrage with what had been said within this inner book.  In one sense the author could not go back home again due to his writing, but there were also deeper meanings dealing with no one can ever go back to where they once were.  You can never return to your youth in Anywheresville; the fountain of youth is yet to be discovered.
While contemplating this state of affairs I began to wonder about where is home?  Is it possible that you can’t go home because you don’t know where home is?  I once read that you are lost when you don’t know how to get to your home.  Does that also have a deeper meaning?  Are you lost along the highway of life when you no longer know where home is, or ever was?
Where or what is home?  Is it where you’re presently living, or is it where your parents lived?  Are you home now, or were you home when you were living within the safety of your parents abode?  Or does it have nothing to do with a living space?  Is home a larger sense such as an entire village?
I lived in my parents’ farm home for fourteen years.  I have lived where I presently reside for over thirty-five years, yet I think of home as where I was raised.  It is where I spent my formative years and thus is home.
Where is your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment