Saturday, August 27, 2011

Intrigue

As people who dabble in genealogy oft do I was wandering through the Flackville Cemetery yesterday.  What should I spot, but the following stone.  It appears to be fairly recently installed, with flowers freshly planted, and cared for.  However it did not appear to be a particularly recent burial.  It is possible there is no one even there at this time.
Obviously what drew my attention was the inscription.  Why would a tombstone say what this one does?  It has a solar powered light in front.  The flags may denote that the person buried, or who will be buried, there is, or was, military.  The light to the right with the anchors, may denote a Navy career.  The flag at the left rear denotes a member of the International Order of the Odd Fellows, whatever it is that they do.
The second photo shows that the stone is apparently a part of the Griffith family, in some manner.  Benjamin Griffith was a local farmer that I was acquainted with in my younger days.  I don't know what the relationship may have been.
It just seemed odd to me, to have it on a tombstone, "If I'm Not Here I'm In Africa."

1 comment:

  1. That is the most bizarre headstone I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete