Monday, April 25, 2011

The Beaver Pond 4 25 11

It was a little after 6 pm, warm enough at about 60, but with a slight rain.  I made my usual observatory trip through wood and meadow to see what I could see.  While sitting quietly at the pond I noted a muskrat slowly swimming toward me.  Apparently not noting my presence, it left the water and climbed the bank to the roadway where upon seeing me it paused to decide what to do.  I got a quick photo for those who may never have seen one rather close up.  They resemble an ordinary barn rat rather closely.
I next observed that there was a cedar bough in the water right outside where I know the bank den entrance to be.  It may be food, or den building material, or both for all I know, but I’m reasonably sure it will go into the den soon.  Notice those sprinkles in the water.  I even get wet to take these photos.
After leaving the pond I took a bit of a circuitous route back toward home.  On my way I wandered into a pair of deer.  The one on the right was some larger, and I assume the mother of the yearling fawn on the left.
This is the fawn calmly eating some tender young morsels possibly a hundred feet away from me.
Later it got nervous and headed in the direction the larger one had gone in previously.
Five minutes later, back on my own property I spied the after Easter Bunny.  He waited and watched for a few minutes until he thought I got too close, and then he darted away into the underbrush.
Next I noted that the tamarack tree that I photographed earlier in the year was beginning to show its spring finery.  You can note the little green leaves beginning to pop from their buds among the tiny seed cones.
A little further along the way I stopped at a willow bush where the tiny catkins are turning to green which eventually will be leaves.  I’m sure this is the beginning of a new year, not January 1, as we are led to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment