Thursday, April 28, 2011

Limited Life Of An Old Country Bumpkin

Wednesday, April 27th was the warmest day of the year in this area.  This may have been instrumental in bird activity.  Our feeders were kept busy with take-out calls.  First there was a Black-Capped Chickadee sampling the mixture of stuff in the old silverware tray.  He seemed to like it well enough to sit there while I snapped a couple of photos.

Next I glanced down at the ground behind where I was sitting on the porch to spy a Dark-Eyed Junco gleaning the spillage from the tray feeder.
Only a minute or two later a small Chipping Sparrow flew in to check what the daily offering might be.  Like the Junco he preferred to search the ground.
Later in the day I roamed back to the Beaver Pond.  I noted the water level is slowly rising.  The green line has gone underwater at the outer end now, maybe an inch higher than I previously noted.
I then found a Raccoon but he was not having any part of sitting still for a photo op.  I snapped three photos of it running, but none are any good.  I continued on my way and next spotted a Porcupine in a small tree.  Darkness was approaching so a silhouette was the best I could do.  It was in the background tree, with its back to the camera, not on the dead limb.
Thursday, the 28th, dawned as a really windy day.  We have had gusts up to 65 or 70 MPH throughout the day.  I don’t know if that aided or hindered the male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak traveling to our area, but at any rate it is the first we’ve seen this year.
This evening my son-in-law reported a tree was on the roof of a small home a mile or so from here.  I have a nostalgic feeling for that modest home as it was the one-room-school that I entered in 1942, and last attended in 1948, at the completion of my sixth grade.
Usage was ceased for it in the mid 1950s, and it was sold to an individual while I was in the U. S. Navy.  The remaining two photos show that no great harm has come to this former center of Readin’, Ritin’, and ‘Rithmatic.

2 comments:

  1. I, like you, am moved by the damage (or lack thereof) to the schoolhouse. I went there for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade before moving to the centralized school. My teacher for those three years was Mrs. Laramy, who was also my 6th grade teacher. I loved that little schoolhouse - I would have gladly gone there for 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to have 1953 and 1954 Lisbon Central yearbooks. In 1953 Fred, Jon, and youself are in the school photo. In 1954 Janice has replaced Fred, while Jon and you remain. Mrs. Laramy is the teacher in both instances. I firmly believe those one-room schools should yet exist.

    ReplyDelete