Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Geese

A quick trip to the pond today resulted in very little wildlife sighting, but that is up to the wildlife, not me.  Upon my arrival a pair of ducks rose into the darkening sky with a flourish of wings, water, and much quacking to let me know I was disturbing their afternoon siesta.  Things then quieted down a bit so I checked my water gauge to see what the latest level was.  The end of the sluice pipe green line that was 8” above water level a couple of weeks ago is now at water level, so the beaver dam is rising, along with the water level.
New sticks and mud can be seen along this length of the dam as well as where the breached part was repaired.  Not seen in this view there is additional construction taking place further to the left.
While photographing the pond for your viewing pleasure, suddenly the sky opened up, and of all things, little white B B size balls began to fall.  What’s that nonsense about neither rain nor hail shall stay these photographers from their rounds, or something like that?
Yet later in the day I went to fill my truck full of gas and also to get a five gallon can full for the ATV.  After getting over the shock of $3.959 a gallon gas I was on my way home on Chappel Road when I crossed Sucker Brook and discovered several hundred geese resting there.  I had to stop and get a photo of this mass gathering.  I estimate some 400-500 geese in this photo although lots of them are hard to spot.
This last photo is some of the same flock, but taken from a couple of hundred feet further along the road.  I couldn’t help but note that about 90% were Canadians while the remainder were Snow Geese.  Notice how the Snows are flying along as a part of the Canadian flock, yet keep separated to some degree.  They are capable of cross-mating, but rarely do.

2 comments:

  1. Good photo-taking opportunities! What kind of camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Kodak V1003, 3X Zoom, 10 MP.
    I think I'd like a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35, but Santa hasn't come yet this year.

    ReplyDelete