Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Birds And A Bayou

Blue jays are scrappy birds driving away most other kinds until they've first had their fill.  This one has a choice sunflower seed clutched in his beak which he carried to the nearby lilac bush before cracking it open and devouring the contents.  That left the tray open for some of the smaller varieties.
A sparrow, a cardinal, and a dove then appeared.  All seemed a bit apprehensive of the jay yet in the nearby lilac, but I've noted in the past that the cardinal will drive off the jays if it is so inclined.  On a nice day like today with temperatures in the teens it is but a matter of time until all will get their fill anyway, it's a matter of in what order.
Actually the dove up on the porch feeder is a bit unusual because by choice they will usually eat from the ground.  They usually appear as a group, first stopping in the nearby swing tree, and then dropping down to the ground one at a time.  At times as many as 35-40 may be there at once.

Then later in the afternoon I saw an advertisement on Craigslist for an ATV I felt was in my price range.  It was in Watertown, about 60 miles from where I live, but I called the owner, got a location, and told him I was headed his direction.  An hour and a half later my son Carl and I found him and the ATV.  After looking it over I decided it would do for Alex and I to make our evening beaver pond runs, so I bought it.  The one I bought two or three weeks ago was a pile of undependable junk.  I will keep it until warmer weather, hopefully repair it somewhat, and see if anyone else can find some use for it.  Hopefully this one will be a better ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment