Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mail Again

As I watched Meg walk the length of the driveway today, once more going to get the mail from the rural mailbox, again I marveled at her attire on a 19 degree temperature day.  I’m not too sure the girl has good sense at times.
I watched from a southwest facing window as she trudged the 100’ or so each direction.  As I snapped the photo I realized there was much detail in the background.  For those of you familiar with this area, or for that matter those who are not, I will describe what you are seeing.
In the foreground, that is Meg in her jammies.  At least she has boots on.  That’s the family car directly behind her.  Meg uses it for college travel back and forth when it is in session.
At the left top is my nephew Bernard’s home.  His father, my brother Lawrence, bought the small farm including the home in 1957, I believe, and tranferred it to his son in the late 70s.  I spent my wedding night upstairs in that home in December 1958.
To the right of the home is Lawton Electric.  It was started by Lawrence in the 1960s.  The main business deals with the repair of electric motors, although it has had various other functions from time to time as well.
Parked in front of the building is a shop-owned Ford 8N farm tractor with loader that is used for all sorts of heavy lifting, snow plowing, and anything else necessary.
The pickup behind the tractor belongs to the lone employee that is not family.  All of the other, family, employees, walk to work from surrounding homes.
The large blue object is a waste metal container.  The station wagon is an apparent customer just pulling in.
In the background is the Flackville Cemetery where much of my family spends their eternal days.

No comments:

Post a Comment