Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chitchat

It was such a nice day today.  The thermometer rose to about 36 degrees, and maybe half of the 6” or so of snow we had melted away.  Because we had plowed about half of the front lawn previously it turned mostly green today.  It makes me think of spring even though I know it isn’t.  Snow, ice, and sleet were all listed as possibilities, but we got little of any of it.  It did barely rain once for only a very few minutes.
About noon, when the temperature stretched above freezing, I went for an ATV ride, but all for naught as I saw nothing of note.  After visiting with my older brother, Lawrence in later afternoon, I went for yet another ride thinking maybe deer might appear not too long before dark, but again that was a poor idea as I saw nothing again.  The best I could do was spot some turkey tracks.  At least that says the large flock I spotted a week or so ago must still be in the area.
Tonight and tomorrow the temperature is forecast to be milder than one might expect, but tomorrow night, Wednesday, it’s back to reality with below zero expected.  At least we’re on the downhill side of January, and in about two weeks we’ll be closer to spring than fall.  Life has its little rewards.
My brother Lawrence, who turned 82 last September, told me today he seems to get tired quicker than he used to.  He said he likes to take naps now.  I replied that I like to take naps too, and do nearly every day.  I see no problem with that.  He buys fire wood by the truckload of logs.  He then chainsaws it into 16” lengths, splits it on a hydraulic splitter, and piles it.  He works away at this 4 or 5 days a week, nearly year round, making maybe 200 face cords of fire wood yearly.  It makes me tired to even think about it, and he’s 9 years older than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment