Friday, May 13, 2011

Creature Existence

As I entered my farmer neighbor’s field this evening I soon spotted a pair of deer.  I took a long range photo of them that it is difficult to even see them so there is no reason to add it here.  Within seconds of that, I then spotted a small black animal crossing the field.  As I approached it I saw that it was a porcupine.  Although it was not really willing to pose for a portrait I managed to get a few hurried shots of it.  Then on to the pond.
The beaver at the pond, for whatever reason, have shifted their plans.  It appears they are going to abandon their dam.  The water level on the south side of the farm road has dropped possibly 5 inches.  The dam seems intact, but the fact remains that the water level is lowering, thus the dam is leaking, and not being repaired.  At the same time the sluice pipe under the road is being blocked separating the two sides of the road.  This photo is of Bucky, with twig in mouth, swimming to the plugged sluice pipe to add a little more building material to his dam job.
While waiting to see what Bucky Beaver had in mind next I saw a muskrat, probably searching for dinner for the brood of four kits I know they have.  He swam off into the murky waters, to return no more while I was there.
I left the pond, proceeding toward my home, but traveling in the general direction where I had seen the pair of deer earlier.  Soon I had them in sight again, but this time they were a bit more willing to have their photo taken.  Although very fidgety and nervous, they remained in sight for two or three minutes as I kept slowly nearing them, all the time snapping photos.  These I know to be a pair of yearling sibling fawns from last year.

2 comments:

  1. Hey you were right, the porcupine is the first picture. For some reason I seen the deer picture the other night but not the porcupine. I must have hit the space bar while coming on to the page. (The space bar moves the page down.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were probably drunk on pineapple juice.

    ReplyDelete