Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wood Duck

I drove to the pond and shut off the engine.  For a few moments quiet surrounded me.  Then not too far away I heard the wha weeeee of a red wing blackbird.  I’ve known most of my life that they like to nest near water, and apparently there was to be a resident pair, at least, here this summer.
A few moments later, in the clear evening air, I could hear the faint, lonely whistle of a train slowly proceeding northeastward progressing from Brockville toward Prescott, Ontario, Canada.  Although I am located in the United States it is only about five or six miles from my home to Prescott, as the crow flies that is.
In the meantime a bullfrog had began its dull, deep harumph, over and over, as it advertised for a mate.  I’m reasonably sure, in bullfrog jargon, it was telling the world how great it was.
Serenity, solitude, quietness of human activity, was the name of the game.  Then from the corner of my eye I caught some movement over to my left.  I peered in that direction to spot a figure gliding across the water’s surface.  Was it Bucky Beaver, or was it an adult muskrat?  At first it was hard to tell, but as it came nearer it was neither.  It was a duck swimming quietly in my direction trying to determine if I were friend or foe.  I began to snap photos of my new-found friend in hopes I would later be able to identify the species.  I know little about waterfowl.
With a point and shoot camera, it is difficult to obtain clear shots, at least for me it is.  I managed to get good enough shots to determine that this is a male wood duck, at least I think it is.  With darkness approaching, I restarted my ATV and drove ever so slowly back to my home, hoping for something further to pop up in the way of wildlife, but no such luck this day.  Still, this was a good evening ride.  A little quiet can go a long way to recharge my old batteries sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment