Monday, May 16, 2011

Things Not Often Seen

Things sometime happen quickly, and that is the case here.  My wife told me there was an Amish coming down the road with an unusual load.  I looked once, looked again, and then grabbed my camera.  This is the first Amish house trailer I’ve ever seen.  The really unusual part is that huge hummingbird feeder.  That’s what happens when you shoot quickly through the window.  This fellow builds these buildings to be used as lawn storage sheds, and this is apparently a delivery to someone.
I expect that nearly everyone has heard of a waterhole.  However I think maybe not too many have seen one like this.  It is somewhat hard to determine exactly what that spot in the water really is, but let me assure you it is a water hole.  The beaver have the sluice pipe under the roadway nearly completely blocked off, but not entirely.  Therefore water is yet discharging through it, but at a slower volume than would be normal.  Due to heavy rains the past few days the pond water level has risen faster than it can discharge.  Now the pipe is underwater, but yet flowing.  So, like a sink draining, the water is going down into the pipe which is visible underwater, creating a hole in the water.
Because the water level has risen in the pond there is a spillover into the farmer’s meadow causing this small pond to form.  I doubt the farmer is going to like this so I fear for the beaver’s abode if it remains long enough for him to see it.  I hope for the best, but fear for the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment