Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wildlife Today

In mid-afternoon I rode through meadow and farm just to be outside and doing something.  I proceeded to the Beaver Pond and shut off the engine.  Perfect.  I could see no buildings, roads, or any close proximity to other people.  Sitting on the ATV quietly taking in all that was within my hearing and vision I became aware of bullfrogs croaking their song of lust for female companionship.  First one, and then another would burst forth with their booming voice of need for propagation of their species.
While listening to this cacophony I also became aware of a most raucous bunch of cawing from a murder of crows a few hundred yards away.  A murder is the correct name for a group of crows, but in this instance that’s what they sounded like, one of them was getting slain and the rest didn’t like it.  As I looked in that direction I could see them flying around in profusion, all the time getting more and more noisy.  As I continued to take note I could see other crows flying in from different directions.  It seemed like some sort of a party and all were invited to attend.  As suddenly as it had started, soon individuals were flying away again, and it grew quieter again until silence reigned.
I left the pond area and slowly drove back toward home.  I was moving the ATV at just about walking speed.  I neared a farm ditch bulldozed two or three years ago.  As I turned a bend I spotted a pair of ducks in the ditch water.  I tried, but as usual, I wasn’t really close enough to them to get nice photos.  It appears to me to be a pair of mallards.  Hopefully they will nest at that location for future photo ops.
Still further along, and back on my own property, I ran across Peter Cottontail.  He sat long enough for three photos before he decided it was better to be somewhere else.  I know him to have a mate there, but I didn’t see it on this occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment