Monday, May 2, 2011

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Sunday, May 1st, I was looking out my window for no particular reason.  It was merely what I was doing, when I couldn’t help but notice this bright colored fellow eating from the tray on the front porch.  With his coloration he sort of stands out against a mostly green background.

A little later this more drab appearing lady appeared.  She is the female half of the pair of newly-weds.  Soon they will be sharing a little nest in their own private tree.
Today, Monday the 2nd, I traveled to the nearby beaver pond.  Shortly after my arrival I heard a mewing sound, much like a kitten.  Looking in the direction of the sound I spied a very young muskrat swimming about, apparently searching for its parents.
It stopped for a few moments to chow down on some succulent grass, and allowed me to shoot a photo or two.
Then, like the Cheshire Cat, it was gone, but left only ripples to let you know it had been there.
Waiting a few more minutes as the rain came softly falling was productive in that a short time later Bucky Beaver showed up.  It was apparently a work day for him as he had a twig in his mouth as he swam toward the sluice beneath the roadway.  After he entered I could hear the ends of the stick hitting the ribs of the pipe.  Moments later he was swimming away again never having left the pipe on the other end.  I wonder if he is building a dam within the pipe to raise the water level on one side of the road to a higher level than the other.  I guess that would be a split level home.
On my return trip to my home I spotted these dandelions.  They are the first I’ve seen this year.

1 comment: